WoW Hardcore Casual's (MoP 5.4) - Leveling 85-90 : The Super Twink Fast Track Guide
Published: 2014-05-15, by WoWHardCas-Team - Kel'Thuzad
(For those of you looking for a quick reference list of where to find gear upgrades for level 85-89 characters, jump to the end of this page, it has a listing of where to find each gear piece by slot.)
I used to dread those last 5 levels to 90 until I finally figured out how to do it the quick, dirty and painless way. Before getting started you should understand that this guide mostly applies to people who already have at least one level 90 character. Second, a good portion of this guide mostly applies to non-caster classes: Death Knight, Druid, Hunter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Warrior (sorry everyone else). It also will be far easier for any tank specs: Blood Death Knight, Gaurdian Druid, Protection Warrior, Protection Paladin, or Brewmaster Monk, but will probably be the most fun on a Rogue. As a Rogue you will most likely need to have at least one level 90 character to help with the gearing aspect as well.
First thing first, you're main starting goal is to get your character super twinked. Do not underestimate the power that gear plays in this game, and as luck would have it, getting super geared is also super easy, although it does take a fair bit of time and investment.
Super Twink Step 1: Archeology
Get your Archeology up to 525 on your main character. *Do not* train the last level of archeology unless you are planning to level the following: rogue, hunter, protection warrior or protection paladin. The reason for this is your dig sites will all be in the jade forest if you stay at skill level 525, and you will be more likely to get pandaren dig sites, which gives you access to great gear for casters and 2H melee weapon users. Also, I would recommend switching your warrior to arms or fury and paladin to retribution at level 85 if you don't have a level 90 to do archeology on. At level 525 archeology skill, you can farm pandarian dig sites until you get the best twink item in the game: the Spear of Xuen. Yes it has agility instead of strength, but regardless this is the best weapon you will find for druids, monks, warriors, death knights and paladins, at 471 ilevel and chanted with dancing steel, there is nothing that will come close to as powerful a two handed weapon for those last 5 levels.
If you are a rogue, hunter, protection warrior, or protection paladin, you have to use a one handed weapon (or ranged), so you need to train your archeology to skill level 600 and farm mantid dig sites until you find the Mantid Sky Reaver or the Sonic Pulse Generator. And for a rogue it is obviously best if you can attain two of these weapons, so if you have the time, farm up two of them, but you can only get one per character so you will need train up archeology on a different toon.
If you are gearing a caster class, you still get access to a great offhand item ilevel 471 through digging pandarian sites. But since weapon damage is so important for melee classes and hunters, you won't see as much of a benefit as they will, so I'm not entirely sure it's worth farming up. If you have more than one twink to level from 85 to 90, then by all means grab this item as well: the Swarmkeeper's Medallion to use in replace of the ghost iron dragonling (because parry and dodge are simply not as useful to you).
Remember that the best thing about the archeology gear is it is bind on account! Meaning once you get these awesome twink items, you will be able to use them on all your future characters as well!
- the Forager's Gloves will help you to perform faster digs, so if you have these on a level 90 character, use them for faster surveying in pandaria. I recommend a paladin or death knight since they also have improved mount speed. Oh, and remember to equip them for the bonus!
- If you are a dual boxer, level up two Archeologists at once! It's much faster than doing them seperately because you will have less distance in between sites.
- Remember to upgrade all of your archeology items before applying any enchantments to them! If you upgrade an enchanted item, the enchantment will disappear!
Super Twink Step 2: Max Professions
My advice for professions on a level 85-89 twink would be to grab Engineering and Alchemy.
Engineering gives you access to the best level 87 helms in the game, it also gives you and excellent trinket, synapse springs, goblin glider, a portable mailbox, and access to the engineering corner in the shrine of the seven stars (or shrine of the two moons for horde). These are some seriously incredible rewards in my opinion.
Alchemy will give you access to a number of bonuses as well. Since I love being twinked to the max, I use flasks for an extra 1320 int/agi/str while leveling up, although buying these works just as well. You also get access to the Zen Alchemist Stone, which is one of the best trinkets available in the 85-89 level range.
I would advise making your first alchemist an elixir master or potion master. The reason for this is because elixir masters and potion masters can buy goods off the AH, convert them into useful flasks or potions of luck and sell them off for a profit on most servers. On top of this they can make their own flasks and potions much easier. If you want the greatest variety of goods for this, potion master is probably your best option, as these markets are often less competitive than the flask and transmutation markets.
Transmutation is also an excellent choice, but it typically makes money through daily cooldowns. You can also make money through transmuting gems, on my server however these markets are flooded to the point where gems often sell for less than a golden lotus, making it a less profitable endeavor. You do get the added bonus of being able to transute living steel daily, which you can also use to make Sky Golems with engineering as a transmutation master, which is both a cool mount to have an a great money maker.
Also, make up a large batch of potions of mogu power (4k strength for 25 secs) or vermin's bite (4k agility for 25 secs), I would recommend around 200 to 400 potions or so. Then create a macro that uses these potions with either your burst abilities or just a regular attack:
/use Potion of Vermin's Bite
Super Twink Step 3: Buy Some Twink Gear
Get some epic leg armor and epic shields. The zandalari warbringers are some of the most heavily farmed rare mobs in the game and they drop an abundance of level 85 and level 87 epics. Because they are so heavily farmed the prices on these items is generally quite low. On my server they sell for around 200-300 gold usually, which is a very nice deal for serious twink gear.
I also recommend buying in remaining gear you might need off the AH if you can find it for a reasonable price. Here are some keywords to search for to max your dps:
- Str based classes (plate): Ghost-Iron Avatar Plate Gear, Daelo's Final Words (on use trinket), Crypwarden's Breastplate
- Agi based classes (leather): Misthide Windstorm Gear or Misthide Windflurry Gear
- Agi based classes (mail): Stormscale Windstorm Gear or Stormscale Windflurry Gear
- Int based classes (cloth): Windwool Scorpion Gear or Windwool Shark Gear
- Int based classes (leather): Misthide Undertow Gear or Misthide Wavecrest Gear
- Int based classes (mail): Stormscale Undertow Gear or Stormscale Wavecrest Gear
To find this gear, just do an auction house search for level 85-85 gear with one of the modifier key words: avatar, windstorm, windflurry, scorpion, etc. Note that these all come in two forms: rare 415 gear and common 386 gear, if you can afford it I definitely recommend getting the 415 versions, as the boost they provide adds up very quickly!
Super Twink Step 4: Get Some Dungeon Gear
After you've completed the above steps, I recommend you run a few pandarian dungeons to fill some other gear slots, and try to keep searching for good deals on the auction house for ilevel 415-450 rare items. Often they sell for less than 500 gold which is quite a fair deal in my opinion.
Super Twink Step 5: Enchant Your Gear
Apply enchantments and gem your gear. Don't skimp out at the last moment, I promise you will have a much more enjoyable time leveling 85-89 if you play with some serious gear on your characters!
Ok, Now That I'm Super Twinked, What Do I Do?
Well, you have a lot of options at this point. As a tank I recommend a mix of battlegrounds, instances, and worm farming on timeless isle. If you are specced for DPS I recommend the same, although worm farming may be a bit difficult at level 85 for a non tank class. At level 87-89 you should be able to handle this as a super twink DPS. I personally love PvP, so I usually queue for battlegrounds and farm worms on the timeless isle while I am waiting for queue pops. I went from level 87 to 90 in just a few hours using this method on a gaurdian druid.
I was even tempted to leave my druid level 89 because I was having so much fun in the battlegrounds as a twink! The pace of leveling was so incredible compared to questing that I was completely mind blown. The real key to getting this level of efficiency was all the super twink stuff I did beforehand however. By level 89 I was able to pull three packs of worms at once without dying, which would give me 3 bubs of exp rested with just one pull, and I completed the last 5 bubs of level 89 in under 10 minutes doing this. I was also winning 90% of my battlegrounds for these last levels and was topping the charts for DPS and killing blows, as a tank!
If you really enjoy the battlegrounds on your super twink you can even stop exp gain. You will be placed in a different bracket for pvp however, only fighting against other players who have done the same. Since there are a fair number of level 85 twinks in the game, you should still be able to find some PvP action I believe. I recommend stopping exp gain at level 87 if you are going to go this route. At this level you get access to the engineering retinal gear and a number of other heavy twink items ilevel 440 and up. This and you will still receive gear scaling benefits from being below the level cap.
Side note: I recomend timeless isle worm farming from level 85-90, but in the highly likely event that this gets nerfed in the near future, you will still get excellent experience running quests or simply doing instances as a super twink.
The End Results
Below is a screenshot of one of my current twinks. His layout can be achieved by following the template I laid out here exactly. Currently he pulls between 8-13 million damage in battlegrounds and somewhere around 20-40 kbs per match. And he is quite fun to play might I add.
Below is another screenshot of my most recent twink, a level 85 hunter. Her exact gear template is listed below, although she has some Windflurry pieces that I would have like to have been Windstorm pieces.
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Helm of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 415) Shadowfire Necklace of the Windstorm (Jewelcrafting)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Shoulders of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 440) Softfoot's Drape (found in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms off any rare mob kill)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Chestgaurd of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Bracers of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Gloves of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Belt of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 442) Dill's Primal Leggings (AH)
- (ilvl 415) Stormscale Boots of the Windstorm (Leatherworking)
- (ilvl 415) Ornate Band of the Windstorm (Jewelcrafting)
- (ilvl 415) Ornate Band of the Windstorm (Jewelcrafting)
- (ilvl 442) Gerp's Perfect Arrow (AH)
- (ilvl 458) Zen Alchemist Stone (Alchemy)
- (ilvl 471) Sonic Pulse Generator (Archeology)
Here are some screenshots I took from the first bgs I ran her through after completion:
Cheap Level 85 Twink Gear Locations
For those of you on a budget, I recommend using the following methods to aquire your twink gear:
- Helmet: Krasarang Wilds Rares
- Necklace: Townlong Steppes Rares (or Dread Wastes Treasures for int based classes)
- Shoulders: Auction House (Greens for 25-50g, blues for 200-600g)
- Cape: Vale of Eternal Blossoms Rares
- Chest: Dread Wastes Rares
- Bracers: Kun-Lai Summit
- Gloves: Valley of the Four Winds Rares
- Belt: Auction House (Greens for 25-50g, blues for 200-600g)
- Leggings: Auction House (Epic lvl 87, ilvl 440 for 100-300g)
- Boots: Auction House (Greens for 25-50g, blues for 200-600g)
- Ring 1: Auction House (Greens for 25-50g, blues for 50-300g)
- Ring 2: Auction House (Greens for 25-50g, blues for 50-300g)
- Trinket 1: Swarmkeeper's Medallion (Dread Wastes Treasure)
- Trinket 2: Ghost Iron Dragonling (AH + cogwheels for 600 mastery, 600 haste, 600 crit)
- Weapons: Dread Wastes Treasures or Archeology
If you are very stingy and manage to grab up the cheaper pieces, you can twink your level 85 character for roughly 300-500g + cost of enchantments! Not too bad in my own personal opinion!Back